About Australia

Australia is the largest island and the smallest continent in the world. It lies between the Indian Ocean and the South Pacific Ocean. It is about 11,000 kilometers southwest of North America and 3,200 kilometers southeast of mainland Asia.

Australia boasts a fantastic temperate climate. It is a land of bright sunshine, surf beaches, tropical rivers, rainforests, mountain ranges, red deserts and rich green coastal plains. The flora and fauna are interesting and unique, with kangaroos, koalas and wombats included in the array of wildlife.

The population of Australia is almost nineteen million. More than four-fifths of the people live in cities and towns that are generally in coastal areas near the mouth of a river and as close as possible to a good ocean harbour. The main cities are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart and Canberra and are all State Capital cities. Most Australians enjoy an excellent standard of living, good educational opportunities and a relaxed lifestyle made possible by the outstanding natural and economic features of the country.

There are a range of climate types with the north being tropical, the center being desert and the southern coastal areas being temperate. The seasons are the reverse of the Northern Hemisphere. January/February is generally the hottest time of year and the months around July are usually the coldest. In the tropical north it is warm to hot all year around, with the seasons being simply referred to as ‘wet’ or ‘dry’. The majority of the population live around Australia’s coastal edges, due to the harsh environmental conditions of the centre.


Multi-cultural society. Free from racial discrimination. English is the common language used. Religious freedom. Immigrants from Europe and recently from Asia constitute the bulk of the population. Friendly People


With the reverse season of the northern hemisphere, Australia enjoys a largely temperate climate. Most of Australia receives more than 3,000 hours of sunshine a year, or an amazing 70 percent of the total possible hours. Grab a hat and sunscreen and enjoy the delightful climate.


Six states and two territories Sydney is one of the most highly urbanized cities in the world Sophisticated cities such as Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Canberra, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide WA – Very upcoming Brisbane fastest growing.


Australia is the sixth largest country in the world. It’s about the same size as the 48 mainland states of the USA and 50 percent larger than Europe, but has the lowest population density in the world – only two people per square kilo meter. It has population of 20 million only.


The most beautiful country in the world with amazing cultural and natural diversities Diverse flora and fauna spread across the country Home to the Great Barrier Reef

Sports And Recreation

Cricket, Hockey and Rugby, Aussie Rules, are popular sports in Australia. With more than 120 national and thousands of local, regional and state sporting organisations, it’s estimated that six-and-a-half million people in Australia are registered sport participants.

Here are the list of universities in Australia


Most universities and colleges can provide accommodation on or near to their campus. University apartments, residential colleges and halls of residence are generally available. International students often enjoy staying at the halls of residence as they have the opportunity to mix with many other students on a full-time basis. This is also one of the cheapest options for accommodation. Meals and some cleaning services are usually provided.

Residential colleges provide accommodation with meals. They are slightly more expensive than university Halls of Residence.The facilities are more comprehensive and often include fully serviced rooms, sporting and recreation facilities , computer and internet access and sometimes a library.

International students have the option of sharing accommodation with other students. They are able to share the rent on an apartment or a flat close to the campus. Some Australian families provide homestay accommodation for international students. It is often wise for a student to organize temporary accommodation until they have had a chance to consider the alternatives.

Institutions maintain a register of families prepared to board international students during the academic year. They check to ensure that homestay families are reputable and that they offer accommodation of a reasonable standard. Farmstay accommodation is often available in rural areas. This is an exciting option for students wishing to experience a farming lifestyle.

Backpackers, youth hostels, guest houses and hotels provide a variety of housing options at various costs. Individual universities and colleges are also able to provide information on accommodation available. Prices vary from place to place, so local information is important.

Universities, TAFE institutes and other large education providers have housing offices to assist their students find accommodation. They will be able to provide information on the full range of available housing options, including prices and any rules and regulations you need to know. It may be possible to have temporary accommodation organised for when you first arrive, so there will be time to look around and choose your permanent living arrangement after having personally perused the locations and choices available.

The main options are:

* Boarding schools

Many private schools offer boarding options. Students are fully catered for whilst they board with their meals, cleaning and laundry being part of the services offered. Boarding house residents also have access to the school facilities to assist with study and social activities. Tuition fees must be added to the boarding fee range shown. Cost: A$8 000-A$11 000 per year

* Homestay or Farmstay

Homestay and farmstay are where the student lives with an Australian family in their house. Generally some or all meals are included. It can be an easy entry to Australia for young students and is a popular option for those attending high school or ELICOS courses. Homestay is accommodation within a city whereas farmstay is housing in a rural area. Your housing office will have a list of suitable potential families. Cost: A$110-A$270 per week

* University Accommodation

  • University residential collegesUniversity residential colleges provide accommodation along with all meals, cleaning and a wide range of support services for both social and study needs. They are generally more expensive than Halls of Residence because of the wide range of facilities offered. Cost: A$190-A$280 per week
  • University Halls of ResidenceUniversity halls of residence offer accommodation also but with a lesser range of services attached. Some meals and cleaning will generally be included but there may also be self-catering facilities. This form of accommodation is very popular, especially with first year students and will have to be booked well in advance of your arrival in Australia.
  • University ApartmentsSome universities also have a range of apartments, either close to or on campus. These can be rented and provide the security of university based and run accommodation with the increased autonomy of share living. Apartments are generally popular with students in the later years of their degrees. University accommodation prices and options vary between different institutions and all students should contact the international office of their prospective university for full details. Due to the popularity of these choices it is important to apply early.

* Private or Church-owned Boarding Hostels

This option can be cheaper than university accommodation and shares many of the attractions. It is available for both tertiary and non-tertiary students. Residents share kitchen and bathroom facilities and cater for themselves. Cost: A$80-A$135 per week

* Share Accommodation

Share accommodation is advertised on student notice boards, in housing offices and in the ‘Share accommodation’ section of newspapers. Advertisements will appear for one or more people to share a house or a flat where a lease has already been taken out. Many students prefer to move into share accommodation after a year or two of on-campus residence. Students are generally expected to provide some (or all) of their own furniture. Cost: A$50-A$160 per week

* Rental accommodation

Rental accommodation is the same as share boarding except that it involves finding a residence to rent, rather than moving into one that has already been leased. Once again, students are generally expected to supply their own furnishings. Rental agreements require payment of rent in advance and a security bond to be paid at the start, which is usually equivalent to one month’s rent. Your housing office will be able to assist with finding rental accommodation and your rights as a tenant. Cost: A$70-A$350 per person per week


Student Visa

  • The student visa is valid till a month after the course completion.
  • Course requirements must be satisfied and valid enrollment maintained.
  • Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while the course is in session.
  • Students must maintain health insurance while in Australia.

A student breaching any of these conditions may be required to terminate their studies and leave Australia. Even before a student visa is issued, there are certain requirements which must be met to the satisfaction of the Australia authorities abroad. The prospective student should:

  • Be a genuine applicant.
  • Be accepted for a full-time course of study (registered by the Australian Government for overseas students).
  • Not intend to become a permanent resident.
  • Have adequate financial means for the duration of their studies.
  • Have evidence of arrangements for health insurance in Australia.
  • Have reasonable proficiency in English to successfully undertake the intended courses. (IELTS)
  • Pass a medical assessment in India.
  • Have a Confirmation of Enrollment (COE) from the institute for any preliminary course you have enrolled & the Offer letter / COE for the Principal Course.
  • Have a current passport valid for the period of stay in Australia.
  • Have access to an acceptable Credit Card.
  • Have access to sufficient funds to cover study cost, living cost, accommodation and to and fro travel expenses.
  • Satisfy the health requirements as per the Australian high commission rules.
  • Be of a good character.


Australia - Destination for Education

In Australia, you will experience a unique kind of education – a learning style that encourages innovative, creative, independent thinking. You build valuable skills to give you an advantage – academically, personally and professionally. Multicultural Australia is a safe, friendly, sophisticated and harmonious society in which students can learn and travel in an English speaking country.


Australia is a safe country compared to almost anywhere in the world. Crime and political unrest are limited in Australia. Australia has low crime rates and strict gun control laws providing a safe environment. Your study plans and progress are not likely to be upset by political turmoil.

Australians are open, friendly people and you will find a warm welcome in Australia. Australian qualifications are recognised by employers and leading educational institutions in many countries around the world.


Education in Australia is primarily regulated by the individual state governments, not the federal government. Generally education in Australia follows the three-tier model which includes Primary education (Primary School, Public School), followed by Secondary education (Secondary College, High School) and Tertiary education (TAFE, University). Education is compulsory up to an age specified by legislation; this age varies but is generally 15 or 16, that is prior to completing secondary education. Post-compulsory education is regulated within the Australian Qualifications Framework, a unified system of national qualifications in schools, vocational education and training (TAFE) and the higher education sector (University).

Australia – Scholarships



International students in Australia on a student visa can apply for a work permit. Students can work up to 20 hours a week (anywhere) during course time and 40 hours per week full-time during vacation periods if they have been granted a work permit. On an average a student can earn around AUD $ 10-18 per hour.


Australian Industries work side to encourage and sustain the economic activity. The national income comes from industries like Education, Agriculture, Finance, Hospitality, Manufacturing, Construction, Business services, Technology, Tourism etc.

Working in Australia as a Student

International students in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work up to 20 hours a week during course time and full-time during vacation periods.

Entry requirements to study at Australian institutions

Students must meet minimum academic requirements and need a sufficient level of English language proficiency for entry to Australian education and training institutions. Institutions will assess whether you meet the selection criteria set for your proposed course of study. They will look at the level and content of the study you have completed in Australia or your home country.

Working while you study in Australia

  • International students studying in Australia on a student visa can apply for permission to work once they start their course. Applying for a student visa with permission to work can be done electronically or on paper using form 157P or through Euro View.
  • A visa with permission to work enables you to work up to 20 hours a week on a casual basis during course time and full-time during vacation periods. Occasionally family members can also apply for permission to work up to 20 hours a week throughout the year. In the case of masters and Ph.D. students and AusAID or Defence-sponsored students, family members can apply for permission to work unlimited hours. If you are the family member of a student who has commenced masters or Ph.D. course, you must bring evidence from the education provider that the student has started this course. Under certain circumstances, dependants of students are permitted to work.
  • The application charge for a student visa with permission to work is $55, however, this is subject to yearly review.
  • The income you get from working in Australia should only supplement your income and not be used as your only source of income. Before you come to Australia, you must show that you have enough money to pay for living expenses, education costs and travel for the duration of your study.

    Most students take part-time or casual jobs at some time during their studies. Some jobs are closely tied to courses of study (such as part-time work by law students in solicitors’ offices). Some students teach school children or get jobs on campus in the canteen, the bookshop, in the institution’s offices and as lab assistants. Some jobs are entirely outside the education community such as bartending, babysitting, gardening, hospitality, sales, computers, restaurants, or fruit picking

  • Some institutions offer a job placement service. If work is available you will need to obtain a tax file number from the Australian Tax Office. You will need to contact them about their requirements and processes.
  • Student visa information on this website is an outline only and subject to change. For more detailed, accurate and up-to-date information on student visas and visa requirements please check with Euro View Education office.