About Canada


35,151,728 (as 2016 census). Lowest population density in the world. 85% of Canadians live within 300 km of the US border. More than 6 lakh Canadians trace their roots back to India. Welcoming over 2 lakh immigrants per year.


Canada has 4 distinct seasons. Day time Summer temperature rises to 35oC. Lows of – 15oC are not uncommon for Winters in not coastal Canada. Moderate Temperatures are the norm during Spring & Fall.


Canada is bordered by three oceans the Arctic, the Pacific & the Atlantic. Niagara Falls. Lush coastline and Rocky mountains. Great lakes, rugged hills & picturesque coastline. Big Skies of the Prairies. 43 National Parks. 6 Time Zones.


Known for their hospitality & tolerance. Multi-cultural society. English & French speaking. Immigrants from over 240 countries.


Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary, Quebec, Victoria etc.

Sports And Recreation

Ice Hockey & Basketball, Skiing & Skating, Rugby & Soccer, Cinemas, Theatre & Film Societies, Pubs and Night Clubs.

Here are the list of universities in Canada



Many Canadian families welcome international students. This may be an effective way for you to improve your English or French, learn about daily life in Canada, and meet new, friendly people. Homestays also offer a more stable and secure environment for younger people coming to study in Canada. Typically, a homestay consists of a Canadian family hosting a student in their home while the student attends classes in Canada. Meals and a private, furnished room are provided in the home, and the host family welcomes and encourages participation in family and community activities.

Homestays are arranged by the school and students are matched with families who share similar interests. Amenities and location vary from home to home, but preferences can and should be indicated to the school so that a suitable match may be found. Many schools can arrange for a school representative or homestay family to meet you at the airport when you arrive.

Prices will vary according to location, and some homestay services will charge an initial placement fee of up to $200 CDN. For more information, contact the school you will be attending.

Average cost of homestay accommodation: $400 – $800 CDN per month.


Many schools have accommodation conveniently located on or near their campus. Rooms can vary in size and in quality, and many dormitories have shared kitchens, toilets, showers and laundry facilities. There is usually an option of having either a shared or private room, and dormitories are usually separated by gender. In some cases, there are cafeterias and meal plans that can be included in the cost of the room. Most dormitories come furnished, and are an ideal way to become involved in campus activities and meet other students.

Average cost of residence/dormitory rooms: $3,000 – $7,500 CDN per school year. For more information, contact the school you will be attending.



Renting is an option open to students, but price, quality and availability vary greatly. Rents are often quite high in the major cities, and places are not always available. Many students share accommodation to keep costs down and usually find places to meet their needs and preferences. Many schools offer an off-campus housing service, which can provide affordable listings that are near the campus. At this service centre, those seeking shared accommodations can also find roommates. Once on campus, you will often find a variety of postings throughout the campus advertising nearby housing, but it is always best to make arrangements before coming to Canada.


There are different types of places you can rent as an international student. A house is usually too expensive for one student to rent, but many students share or rent suites (a self-contained unit with a kitchen, toilet, bath and bedroom) within a larger home. Apartments are another option, where one has a kitchen, toilet, bath, and one or two bedrooms. Most rental apartments do not include furniture or meals. Some, however, include the cost of heat and/or electricity in the rent.

Listings of available apartments or homes are published in local newspapers. It is the responsibility of the student to determine suitability as schools do not inspect these places nor can they make any other arrangements. Most landlords require a damage deposit and rent is paid on a monthly basis in cash or by cheque. Agreements with landlords should be made with care. Carefully examine and know the terms of any lease before you sign it. Carefully examine the apartment or suite before signing a lease to determine whether anything needs to be repaired by the landlord before you move in. If you experience problems with your rental accommodation, you should contact a provincial residential tenancy office.

Average cost of shared accommodations in Canada: $250 – $700 CDN monthly.

Average cost of a suite or apartment: $400 – $1,500 CDN monthly.

Things to remember when choosing accommodation in Canada

  • Try to make arrangements ahead of time but be especially sure to do so if you require accommodation during the summer months, and during holidays and festivals.
  • If you are staying in a hotel or hostel, always inspect the room on arrival before making a payment. If you are unsure about the location, ask the local tourism association.
  • Prices can vary greatly according to location and time of year, so try to investigate before you leave.
  • Canada is a friendly and wonderful place, and having made the proper arrangements, you will undoubtedly enjoy your stay regardless of where you choose to live in Canada.

Youth Hostels/YWCA/YMCA

Hostelling is a temporary and inexpensive way to stay in major cities. Accommodation is basic but economical, and primary facilities (toilets, baths and kitchens) are shared. Rates are calculated daily, and costs are less than other accommodation choices. A Canadian hostel must be inspected and approved by the Canadian Hostelling Association.
Average cost of a room in a hostel: $10 – $20 CDN per night.



All overseas students are required to obtain a Student Authorization and Visa before going to Canada for studies. Students must also meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations. Under normal circumstances, allow at least 4-6 weeks for your visa to be processed. Students are not allowed to obtain an authorization after their arrival in Canada. The application should be submitted well in advance of the planned date of departure to ensure that the processing of the application can be completed on time.

Submit the completed application kit to the immigration section of the Canadian High Commission. Kindly note that all documents submitted, must be photocopied.


  • Visa Application Form
  • Student Questionnaire
  • Study Plan
  • Official letter of acceptance from a Canadian University, College or Technical Institute.
  • Financial documents (bank statements, IT returns etc…).
  • The application can be made by visiting the Canadian High Commission (New Delhi) in person or by submitting the application at any of the VFS (Visa Facilitating Service) offices in India at your nearest city.


An interview with a Canadian Visa Officer may be required. If this is the case, you will be advised in writing of the time and place of the interview.


The Canadian high commission will issue medical instructions. Students and accompanying dependents must pass a medical examination. If the student and accompanying dependants are found to be in good health and there are no other concerns with the application, the Visa and Student Authorization will be issued.


Canada – Destination for Education

Education in Canada is under the complete jurisdiction of the provinces and territories (States) and as such, there is no Federal (Central) education system in Canada. In keeping with the national commitment to education, public education in Canada is free up to and including secondary school ( 12th Std), in all the provinces. At the post-secondary level, institutions are divided into community colleges and universities. A significant number of university graduates attend college upon completion of their degree in order to acquire vocational skills for employment.


The degrees & diplomas from Canadian Institutions are among the most widely recognized in the world. The education system in Canada encompasses of both public funded & private institutions. Students have a diverse choice of 92 Universities & 175 Community Colleges offering a wide array of programmes. While pursuing their studies, the students, are allowed to work for the first 6 months on-campus and thereafter off-campus.

Post Secondary education is offered by four types of educational institutions:

Technical / Career Colleges : These are privately owned and operated with the main objective of preparing students for the job market after a short period of instruction. The emphasis at career colleges is on practical skills over a broad range of programmes.

Community Colleges & Technical Institutes : They typically have more career oriented, practical / technical related curricula, with small classes, off-campus course offerings, a greater ratio of laboratory space to class room space, and an interactive teaching style.

University Colleges : As a component of the Canadian University system, University Colleges offer students a choice of either academic oriented university degree programmes or the more practical-oriented college diplomas and certificates.

University : Canadian Universities are largely public funded and as a result, offer consistently high quality education at lower tuition rates for International students than their counterparts in competing countries. They offer a broad range of courses and degrees from Undergraduate to Doctorate and also certificate and professional degrees. Class sizes in universities are generally large.


Certificate: is a qualification awarded upon successful completion of a programme which is usually one year in length.

Diploma: is a qualification awarded on the basis of one or two year’s of successful study.

Advanced Diploma: Is a 3 years program some of which may lead to a Bachelors Degree.

Bachelors Degrees: Are awarded by Universities/ University Colleges/ Community Colleges after four years of full-time study and lead to graduate level studies.

Post Graduate Diplomas/Certificates: It lead to a Masters Degree. These programs have work terms which provide full-time opportunities to gain practical experience along with theoretical studies. A typical co-op term lasts 12 to 17 weeks. The prerequisites to participate in these programs is a Bachelors Degree of 3 or 4 years duration.

Master Degree: Is an option for Bachelors Degree. Graduates who have an interest in further learning and research, and for those who want to broaden their career possibilities. It is for 2 yrs. duration and can be pursued after a 4 yrs. Bachelors or a 3 yrs. Bachelors & a 1 year Post Graduate Diploma from Canada.

Doctorate or PhD: Is a degree ranking above the Masters Degree and generally requires four to seven years to complete.

Canada – Scholarship


Work Eligibility In Canada


Students may work on the campus of the institution they are studying at, without a work permit, if they are:

  • Studying full time at a public post-secondary institution or a private post-secondary institution operating under the same rules as a public one,
  • They have a valid study permit. To be able to work off campus,
  • A student must have a valid ‘Off-campus work permit’. Such a permit allows you to work while studying but does not guarantee a job.
  • The institution at which the student is studying must have signed an ‘off-campus work agreement’ with their provincial government.

Working While Studying In Canada

Full-time students with a valid study permit, studying at an accredited public or private institution, may work on campus without a work permit. The type of work that students do under these conditions is normally that of a teaching or research assistant.

Some courses have industrial work as part of their study curriculum and have to work off-campus for a few weeks to a few months.  This is often seen in the case of Co-op and Internship programmes. In such cases, students have to take a work permit besides their study permit.

In most cases, work permits for students are granted if:

  • 1. The intended employment is an essential part of the programme under study.
  • 2. The employment is certified with a letter by a responsible official of the institution where the student is studying.
  • 3. The Co-op or Internship duration does not exceed 50% of the total programme of study.