Migration to Australia
About this visa
This visa allows you to become Permanent Resident and thereafter as a citizen of Australia in future. It is a points test and do not require sponsorship to apply. Basically a person whose skills are in demand in Australia having relevant work experience and competent English language are eligible to migrate to Australia.
Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if you:
- are under 50 years of age
- have competent English language skills
- have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
The SOL is a list of skilled occupations of high value to the Australian labour market.
What does this visa let me do?
This visa allows you and any dependant (dependant includes spouse and children) included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.
Australian permanent residents can:
- Live and work in Australia without any employer sponsorship permanently.
- Opt for higher education in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training ( VET) sector or university.
- Receive social security benefits including health care benefits, pharmaceutical benefits , child care , unemployment benefits etc ( subjected to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- Sponsor parents, brothers, sisters and relatives for permanent residence provided they satisfy the entry criteria set by DIAC.
The applicants have to satisfy the basic requirement to migrate under the Skilled Migration category.
- Age: The main applicant age of maximum 50 years and minimum 18 years.
- English language: The applicant required to have atleast competent level of English proficiency equivalent to IELTS 6 across all modules.
- Nominated occupation: the Qualification, work experience and occupation should match with the skilled occupation list requirements.
- Skill Assessment: Successful skill assessment for the nominated occupation is a must requirement before applying for visa.
- Work experience: The applicant either meet the recent Australian study requirement in the last six months or have recent skilled employment experience for a period totaling at least 12 months in the last 24 months.
- Health &character requirements: The applicant has to meet with health and character requirements.
Bonus points can also be gained on the following criteria
- Partner Skills: Skill assessment for the nominated occupation along with required English proficiency, relevant work experience or two years study in Australia.
- Credentialed community Language: proficiency in the credentialed community language at the Para-professional level or above and have experience as translator or interpreter.
- Regional Australia study :Points awarded for having met the Australian study requirement while living and studying in regional Australia or a low population growth metropolitan Areas in Australia
- Specific Experience points: The applicant for the Australia Skilled Immigration Program can claim additional points for having at least 3 years of overseas experience in the nominated occupation in the last 4 years.
- Professional year points : The professional year practice must be for a period of atleast 12 months in the 48 months immediately before applying and be in either:
The applicant’s nominated skilled occupation
A closely related skilled occupation.