UK – Employment

Working While Studying In UK

The Rules state that applicants must be able to support themselves and any dependants without working. This means that while there is provision for students to take employment during vacations or spare time, no account may be taken of any prospective earnings from that employment in assessing the ability of a student to meet the maintenance requirement, except where the educational establishment at which the student has a place.

  • Is a publicly funded institution of further or higher education which is itself providing and guaranteeing the employment, and has provided details of how much the applicant will earn
  • Is able to guarantee that there are jobs available and how much if anything the applicant will earn.

Student Working Regulations In UK

Students studying at UK institutions may take part-time or vacation work without needing to obtain permission from the local job centre. Similarly, they are able to do work placements which are part of a course or to undertake internship placements without the need to obtain permission from Work Permits (UK) .

The conditions covering the hours and type of work they may do are:

  • The student should not work more than 20 hours per week during term time except where the placement meets the definition of a course or internship
  • The student should not engage in business, self-employment or the provision of services as a professional sports person or entertainer
  • The student should not pursue a career by filling a permanent, full-time vacancy.

Work Experience After Your Studies In UK

On graduation, there may be opportunities to work with leading UK and international corporations in the UK, or to join national and international firms in Europe, the United States or, indeed, in any part of the world. At the end of your course, you may be able to stay and work in the UK through TWES. To be eligible for this scheme, you will have to do one of the following

    • Undertake training leading to a recognised professional or specialist qualification
    • Follow a graduate training programme leading to international employment
    • Join a work experience scheme where you gain up to 12 months work experience with a UK employer